Shampoo, hair creams, make-up, lotion and many more varying beauty products now contain argan oil. Argan oil may seem a recent beauty craze, but the native women in Morocco have been using argan oil for face and skin since the olden days to keep them healthy and free from blemishes.
Is argan oil the miracle oil you have been praying for? Learn more about argan oil and discover how it can help improve your face problems.
Argan Oil: Gold That Grows on Trees
Argan oil, dubbed as the “liquid gold” because of its rich gold color, is a precious and rare commodity, because its extraction process requires hard work and time. In addition, it takes about 30 kilograms of argan fruit to make a liter of argan oil. That explains why argan oil is more costly compared to other oil extracts.
Traditionally, the Berber women of Morocco are the people mainly responsible for the manual extraction of the oil. After collecting the fruit, they dry out in the sun it so they can easily remove the fleshy part that engulfs the nut. Then, they pound the nut to get the kernels inside, which contain the oil. They will press the kernels until the kernels turn into a paste. Finally, they will separate the oil from the paste through filtration.
To save time and energy, Berber women have another way of collecting argan nuts. They gather it from the goats’ poop because the Moroccan goats love to eat the fruit so much,they even climb the trees. The nuts remain undigested, and somehow the digestion process of the goats softens the hard-shelled nut, making it easier for the women to crack them open. Of course, the women clean the nuts thoroughly first before using them.
Argan oil has two uses, for cooking and for cosmetic purposes. The difference between the two is the roasting of the kernels in culinary argan oil. In cosmetic argan oil, they do not roast the kernels, so it does not have a strong nutty scent.
Moroccan women use cosmetic argan oil on the face, skin, and hair. Now, you can find argan oil as one of the ingredients in various cosmetic products. As the demand grew for argan oil, extraction process evolved to semi-manual and semi-mechanical for faster production. But still, the Berber women are able to keep most of the jobs so they can use their earnings for their families.
What Makes Argan Oil Super Oil?
Argan oil has many cosmetic uses. You can use argan oil for hair, nails, face, and skin, but what makes argan oil beneficial?
Here is the breakdown of argan oil’s components:
- Essential Fatty Acids: These fatty acids are responsible for the regeneration of cell membranes. They help skin cells retain moisture and expel harmful substances.
- Carotenoids: An antioxidant found in plants that help protects skin from sun damage and damage caused by free radicals. It converts into vitamin A when it enters the body.
- Polyphenols: These are active compounds anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and anti-aging properties.
- Squalene: It has antioxidant properties that can help skin cells expel free radicals brought by exposure from the sun’s UV rays.
- Tocopherol or Vitamin E: Vitamin E is a potent antioxidant that can protect your skin cells from oxidative damage that contributes to aging. It helps prevent moisture from leaving your skin and helps protect vitamin A and essential fatty acids level in your body.
- Sterols: These compounds penetrate quickly into the skin and will help slow down aging and reduce inflammation. Sterols will help your skin cells create a barrier for easier moisture absorption and retention.
All these compounds each have a role in keeping your skin healthy and young-looking.
Argan Oil for Skin: Reasons Why Should You Use Argan Oil For Face Problems
Finding the perfect skincare product for your face is almost impossible. What you use for your acne may give rise to another skin problem that you now need to address separately. Have you heard of argan oil and how it does wonders for almost all face problems there is?
1. Argan Oil is a Non-Greasy Facial Moisturizer
Argan oil is light oil that can easily penetrate the skin to keep it moisturized without making your skin look oily. You may get the idea that its moisturizing property comes from being oil that can make your skin appear hydrated from the outside. Well, you are wrong. Argan oil contains sterolin, which aids in the absorption and retention of moisture in your skin cells.
You can use argan oil as an overnight moisturizer, especially when the weather is too hot or too cold. To use argan oil as a facial moisturizer, after cleansing and drying your face,simply put a couple of drops on your fingertips and spread it on your face gently in a tapping motion.
If your skin is dry and flaking, you can also use argan oil to improve its condition. Some people with dry skin due to eczema attested that applying argan oil helped improve their irritated skin.
2. Use Argan Oil for Acne and Acne Scars
Oily skin is prone to breakouts as oil, and other particles can clog the pores. Did you know that sometimes your skin produces too much oil to compensate for the dryness? Yes, that’s right.
Argan oil can help balance sebum production of your skin by keeping it moisturized. The less oil produced, the less risk for acne breakouts. You might wonder how argan oil can prevent acne breakout if it is oil.The answer is, argan oil is different from the oil produced by the oil glands under your skin. Argan oil will not clog your pores unlike the oil on your face and the oil found in many other cosmetic products.
Moreover, argan oil can also help minimize the appearance of acne scars. It has vitamin E, an antioxidant, that helps get rid of damaged cells so new healthy cells can replace them. You can search for argan oil for the face before and after photos on the internet to see the effects of argan oil on acne scars.
To use argan oil for acne, use it like how you would use it as a moisturizer but give special attention to the problem areas.
3. Argan Oil Keeps Your Skin Youthful
Fine lines and wrinkles are top signs of aging and aging is inevitable; however, you can slow down the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles by using argan oil on your face.
Argan oil contains antioxidants that protect your skin from damage caused by pollution and sun exposure.It contains tocopherols and healthy fatty acids that protect your skin from free radicals, and it helps improve your skin’s elasticity. Some argan oil users even say that their skin feels firm and tight right after applying it on their face.
To make your anti-aging argan oil face mask, you’ll need the following:
- One tablespoon argan oil
- Two tablespoons mashed avocado
- One tablespoon pulverized oatmeal
- One tablespoon honey
- Few drops of geranium essential oil
Mix all the ingredients well and you may add water to achieve the right thickness of the paste. To use the mask, follow these simple steps:
- Massage a small amount of the mixture on your face.
- After massaging, apply a slightly thick layer of the mask and let it stay on your face for up to 30 minutes.
- Rinse off with warm water and pat dry.
- Apply moisturizer.
The other ingredients used in this anti-aging facial mask have their skin benefits to boast.
4. Argan Oil is a Gentle Toner
Skin toning is an important part of your beauty regimen, and it is something you should not skip out. A lot of people are confused about what skin toning is all about, and this is the reason why they do not find it necessary to include in their skincare regimen.
Skin toning is using a toning agent to repair and nourish your skin after cleansing. Your toner should contain fatty acids and antioxidants, ingredients that can make your skin fresh, glowing and radiant.
Finding the right skin toner can be difficult because most skin toners contain irritants. You can use argan oil as a gentle toner because it contains protecting and repairing substances a good toner must have.
To use argan oil as a toner, you need to add other ingredients, such as green tea and an essential oil. Make your own by following these instructions.
- Steep the green tea bag in a cup of boiling water for 10 minutes.
- Remove the bag and let the tea cool.
- Transfer it into a glass jar and add a drop of your choice of essential oil.
- Add a few drops of argan oil then store it with a tight lid.
- Apply it after cleansing your face in the morning and before going to bed.
Make your own to make sure your skin toner does not contain harsh chemicals.
5. Argan Oil Helps Get Rid of Dead Skin Cells
To make sure your skin absorbs the nutrient and moisture it needs externally, you need to exfoliate. Exfoliation is the process of getting rid of the skin cells from the top layer of your skin to reveal healthy skin underneath.
Your skin naturally exfoliates on its own, but as you grow older, this process can slow down. You may need to aid your skin chemically or mechanically to exfoliate properly. Exfoliating products are sometimes expensive, too harsh or may cause dryness. Create your exfoliant and add argan oil to make sure your skin stays hydrated throughout the exfoliating process.
To make your facial exfoliating scrub, you will need a few at least two tablespoons of oatmeal and argan oil. Then, follow these instructions.
- Pulverize the oatmeal with a blender or a mortar and pestle.
- Add argan oil and mix well to form a thick paste.
- Wash your face and apply the mixture with your hand.
- Gently scrub giving special attention on the T-zone.
- Wash with lukewarm water and pat with a towel to dry.
- Apply a drop of argan oil as a moisturizer.
If you do not have oatmeal, you can use brown sugar. You can also add an aroma oil of your choice for a relaxing effect. For more argan oil facial DIY recipes, check this out.
6. Argan Oil as a Lip Exfoliant and Moisturizer
Your lips are part of your face that is too often left on their own. They need exfoliating and moisturizing, too.
Keep your lips soft and pinkish with an argan oil lip scrub. To make your own, you’ll need the following:
- Four tablespoons refined sugar
- One tablespoon argan oil
- One-fourth tablespoon pure honey
- One tablespoon coconut oil
Mix all the ingredients then transfer to a sealed container.
To use the scrub, follow these steps:
- Apply the scrub on your lips with the tip of your finger.
- Gently massage your lips in a circular motion. Avoid scrubbing too hard because your lips will easily tear.
- Rinse off with warm water.
- Apply a moisturizer.
Refrigerate the remaining lip scrub for the next use.
7. Argan Oil is a Mild Make-up Remover
A lot of women are guilty of sleeping without removing their make-up. Did you know that letting your make-up stay overnight is bad for your skin? While you sleep, your skin repairs itself, and if you do not remove your make-up, it can interrupt the repair process. Experts also agree that it can cause acne, worsening of wrinkles and skin dryness.
Washing may be impossible for you if you are too tired that you just want to go straight to bed. If this is the case, you can use argan oil to remove your make-up. It’s mild that you can even use it around your eyes.
Just put a few drops of argan oil on a clean cotton ball and gently wipe your make-up off your face including your mascara. Keep a bottle of argan oil and cotton balls ready on your bedside.
8. Argan Oil Is Good for Sensitive Skin
People with sensitive skin often suffer from common skin problems, such as eczema, psoriasis and rosacea. You should find a product that won’t cause any adverse reactions, because many skincare products contain harsh chemicals that can further irritate your sensitive skin. Argan oil may help you with this problem.
Argan oil contains fatty acids and antioxidants that can act as anti-inflammatory agents to help relieve inflammation.It can also help improve skin dryness common in people with the above mentioned skin problems. One important reminder, before using argan oil all over your sensitive skin, test it on a small patch of your skin first. Some argan oil for face reviews said that argan oil aggravated their symptoms.
If you want to use argan oil for face, you do not have to buy the expensive beauty creams. All you need is a bottle of pure argan oil for your face, and you can even use it for your body skin, nails and hair.
Make sure you are buying a hundred percent pure argan oil because there are many fakes out there. One of the trusted brands for argan oil is Josie Maran argan oil.You can also find argan oil for face at Whole Foods Markets, in store and online.
Looking for an answer to your skin woes? Here are reasons why you should start using argan oil for skin and face.